Isaiah 58:6-7 KJVIs not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?  Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
Why We Must Avoid Certain Things When Fasting And Praying
Isaiah 58:8 KJVThen shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rereward.
- With fasting and prayer, stubborn mountains have been removed.
- Through fasting and prayer many have laid hold of their long awaited breakthrough. Sometimes, a person's breakthrough and blessing get released from Heaven only to get obstructed mid-air by the enemy. It will require an additional spiritual force to move the enemy out of the way, and that's one thing fasting and prayer does.
- In Matthew 17:15, some persons came to Jesus, reporting that they brought their son (who was suffering from seizures) to His disciples, but the disciples could not cast out the demons. The major problem for their inability to cast out the devils (which the Lord pointed out) was lack of fasting and prayer. Remember that the disciples truly weren't fasting when Jesus was around (Luke 5:34-35).
- Fasting and prayer hastens spiritual growth. If you find a Christian who doesn't fast, then you just found a fleshly and lukewarm Christian.
- Fasting is a way of humbling oneself under the mighty hand of God—what is suppose to follow suit should be [physical and physical] exaltation and promotion. If these do not follow after our fasting, then it's likely we missed something along the line, while fasting.
1 Peter 5:6 KJVHumble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time.
10 Things You Should Avoid When Fasting And Praying
1. Avoid Faithlessness And Doubt
James 1:6-7 KJVBut let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.  For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
Hebrews 11:6 KJVBut without faith it is impossible to please him : for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
2. Avoid Discouragement
1 Peter 5:7 KJVCasting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
3. Avoid Distraction
1 Thessalonians 5:22 KJVAbstain from all appearance of evil.
Romans 13:14 KJVBut put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.
4. Avoid Irritation And Fights
Ephesians 4:31 KJVLet all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice.
5. Avoid Thinking About Food
1 Corinthians 6:13a ESV“Food is meant for the stomach and the stomach for food”—and God will destroy both one and the other.
Isaiah 26:3 KJVThou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee : because he trusteth in thee.
6. Avoid Pleasing The Flesh
1 Corinthians 7:5 KJVDefraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
7. Avoid Alcohol
Luke 1:15 KJVFor he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
Ephesians 5:18 KJVAnd be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit.
8. Avoid Gossip And Slander
9. Avoid Ungodly Chatter
1 Timothy 4:7 KJVBut refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.
Ephesians 5:4 KJVNeither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
10. Resist Letting Everyone Know You're Fasting
Matthew 6:16-18 KJVMoreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.  But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;  That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.
Final Words On Things To Avoid When Fasting And Praying
You are NOT permitted to copy and/or redistribute our content in any format. For no reason should we find our content on your blog/website—be it in its original or spinned format. You have been warned !!