Set Your Mind On Things Above Meaning
- Where in the Bible does it say set your mind on things above?
Setting our minds on things that are above was an instruction from the Lord, through Apostle Paul—not just to the Colossians but to the early and end time Church at large.
Colossians 3:2 NIVSet your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
Colossians 3:2 KJVSet your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
The need to set our minds on things that are above is vital to Christian living and indispensable to our walk with God.
John 8:23 KJVAnd he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.
John 3:31 KJVHe that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.
John 3:12 KJVIf I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
Matthew 15:16-18 KJVAnd Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?  Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?  But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
Matthew 16:11 KJVHow is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?
Matthew 13:13 KJVTherefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
Some Dangers Of Setting The Mind On Things Beneath
- Do not set your mind on earthly things?
Having one's mind set on the things that are beneath is the same as having a carnal mind. You can tell that Jesus does not like this at all!
Romans 8:6 KJVFor to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
1 Corinthians 2:14 KJVBut the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
Meaning of Setting Your Mind On Things Above
- What does it mean to be heavenly minded?
In The World But Not Of The World
How To Set Your Mind On Things Above
Keep Your Mind On Things That Are Pure
Philippians 4:8 KJVFinally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
- In order to be able to think pure thoughts, we must master the art of casting down unholy imaginations, taking captive of unGodly thoughts (2 Corinthians 10:5) and replacing them with Godly thoughts.
- Start your day asking the Holy Spirit to give you thoughts from above and block sinful thoughts from getting to you.
- Memorize and Meditate on the Word (Joshua 1:8). This has proven to be reliable when it comes to thinking Godly and pure thoughts.
Psalm 119:11 KJVThy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
What You Set Your Mind On Determines The Direction Of Your Life
Luke 12:34 KJVFor where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Matthew 6:33 KJVBut seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Benefits Of Setting Your Mind On Things Above
- Setting our minds on things that are above guarantees us Heaven. Carnality makes people flutter within earthly things, thereby jeopardising their salvation.
- Setting our minds on things that are above keeps us from sin and keeps us holy.
- When we have our minds set on things that are above, we are transformed from a natural (carnal) people to a spiritual people.
- Comprehending spiritual truths becomes easy when we have our minds set on things above.
- When our minds are set on things that are above, the enemy neither finds a foothold in our life nor a legal right to oppress us.
- When our mind is set on things above, we are able to prove things that are good, acceptable, perfect, will of God (Romans 12:2). We are also able to guide others to walk in them. Bad and unGodly advice often comes from carnal people who have their minds set on things beneath.
All contents of iBlogGospel are protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1996 (DMCA). Copying, reproduction, redistribution in any form is strictly prohibited.