- What is the meaning of fasting and prayer?
The spiritual discipline of fasting and praying has to do with setting aside a special time and denying oneself certain carnal needs, in order to devote oneself to prayers.
Fasting And Prayer In Scriptures
Luke 5:33-35 KJVAnd they said unto him, Why do the disciples of John fast often, and make prayers, and likewise the disciples of the Pharisees; but thine eat and drink?  And he said unto them, Can ye make the children of the bridechamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them?  But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.
Acts 13:3 KJVAnd when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
Acts 14:23 KJVAnd when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed.
Matthew 17:14-21 KJVAnd when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,  Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.  And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.  Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.  And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.  Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?  And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.  Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
Luke 2:36-37 KJVAnd there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;  And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.
Daniel 10:2-3 KJVIn those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.  I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.
Acts 10:30-31 KJVAnd Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing,  And said, Cornelius, thy prayer is heard, and thine alms are had in remembrance in the sight of God.
1 Corinthians 7:5 KJVDefraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
Guidelines For Fasting And Prayer
Why A Christian Should Fast And Pray
Importance Of Fasting And Prayer
- Fasting and prayer humbles us before God and enables us to receive from Him.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJVIf my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
- Fasting and prayer subdues the flesh and enables the human spirit to rule over the flesh, via the Holy Spirit. We should be willing to engage in spiritual disciples that could help us submit to the Holy Spirit.
Galatians 5:16-17 KJVThis I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.  For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
- Stubborn Satanic barriers and works of darkness are broken and destroyed through fasting and prayers.
Matthew 17:21 KJVHowbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
- We are prepared and equipped for ministry through fasting and prayers. Jesus Christ demonstrated this by fasting for forty days and nights, before His public ministry.
- Stubborn and besetting sins can be overcome through consistent fasting and prayers.
- Fasting and prayer enables a Christian to remain spiritual and consistent in their walk with God. Not spiritual today and carnal tomorrow. Fasting and prayer sustains spirituality.
- Fasting and prayer ensures swift spiritual growth and a better relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Engaging in fasting and prayers helps us avoid distractions and keep our gaze on God.
- Those who engage in fasting and prayers often have an uncommon prayer life.
- Fasting and prayer gives heightened spiritual sensitivity, and causes spiritual gifts to operate at their very best.
Fasting And Prayer Scriptures
You are NOT allowed to copy and redistribute our content in any format!