Fasting And Prayer In Scriptures
Luke 5:33-35 KJVAnd they said unto him, Why do the disciples of John fast often, and make prayers, and likewise the disciples of the Pharisees; but thine eat and drink?  And he said unto them, Can ye make the children of the bridechamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them?  But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.
Acts 13:3 KJVAnd when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
Acts 14:23 KJVAnd when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed.
Matthew 17:14-21 KJVAnd when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,  Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.  And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.  Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.  And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.  Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?  And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.  Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
1. Prophetess Anna Served God In Fasting And Prayers
Luke 2:36-37 KJVAnd there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;  And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.
2. Daniel Fasted For Twenty One Days
Daniel 10:2-3 KJVIn those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.  I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.
3. Cornelius Was Fasting And Praying When He Had An Angelic Encounter
Acts 10:30-31 KJVAnd Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing,  And said, Cornelius, thy prayer is heard, and thine alms are had in remembrance in the sight of God.
4. Christian Couples Are Expected To Set Apart Time For Fasting And Prayers
1 Corinthians 7:5 KJVDefraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
Guidelines For Fasting And Prayer
- Fasting and prayers should be based on the leading of the Holy Spirit or instructions from God. If you choose to stay hungry, it is not advisable to turn it into fasting.
- Before embarking on a fast, an individual should be well prepared, and go into it with a good intention and a righteous goal.
- A Christian shouldn't embark on fasting as a weapon against another person. Agents of darkness do that. Yes, the kingdom of darkness also fast and pray to their master, for evil intents. The sons of God are not expected to do such.
- A Christian should not go into extended days of fasting, except strictly based on God's instructions. It is not part of God's character and personality, to instruct anyone to lock themselves up in a room and fast for forty or fifty days without food or water.
- Before anyone engages in two to three days dry fasting or more, they should be sure it is an instruction from God.
- Corporate fasting is good. Personal fasting is better. Every genuine Christian should have a personal fasting and prayer life.
Why A Christian Should Fast And Pray
10 Importance Of Fasting And Prayer
1. Makes Us Sober
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJVIf my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2. Helps In Subduing The Flesh
Galatians 5:16-17 KJVThis I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.  For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
3. Equips For Victory In Spiritual Warfare
Matthew 17:21 KJVHowbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
4. Equips Us For Ministry
5. Helps Us Overcome Sin
6. Increased Spirituality
7. Improves Our Relationship With The Lord
8. Helps Us Stay Focused On God
9. Improves Our Prayer Life
10. Makes Us More Spiritual Receptive And Sensitive
Fasting And Prayer Scriptures
- Luke 18:1-12
- Jonah 3:5-9
- Isaiah 58:3-7
- Matthew 6:16-18
- Ezra 8:21-23
- Luke 4:2-4
- 1 Kings 21:25-27
- 2 Samuel 12:15-17
- Daniel 9:3-5
- Acts 13:3-4
- Joel 2:12-13
- Psalm 35:13-14
- Psalm 69:10
- Nehemiah 1:4
- Luke 18:12
- Luke 2:37
- Joel 2:12
- Exodus 34:28
- Esther 4:16
- Daniel 10:3
- Acts 14:23
- Acts 13:2
- 2 Samuel 1:12
- 1 Corinthians 7:5
Final Words On Importance Of Fasting And Prayer
The articles and dream interpretations on our blog are gotten through revelation. We don't go about stealing other people's content. If we did, this website wouldn't have survived till today. DESIST from copying or lifting any part of our content to your website, books or videos. God is against plagiarism (Jer. 23:30). All content are protected by DMCA with fast response rate. Don't say you were not warned !!