I have received many requests asking me to write on curses and breaking of curses. I'm also aware that this is much needed in the Church today. So this article comes to meet that demand. Join us today as we learn more than just a prayer to break curses.
If you're one of those who have been searching for the right biblical guide to breaking curses, my prayer for you today is that the good Lord passes through this article to bring permanent deliverance to every form of affliction stemming from curses in your life, in the Name of Jesus Christ!
While we discuss this topic, we will touch on some of the following as subtopics:
- Prayer to break curses over financial
- Midnight prayers to break curses
- Prayer for release from ancestral curses
- Prayer to break curses over marriage
- Prayers for Breaking curses and strongholds
It is unaguable that the source of several spiritual problems many are facing today can be traced back to curses. But the pressing questions many often ask today revolve around whether a Christian can be cursed or not. You'll agree with me that a good number of Christians are among those influenced by curses. But how come?
Can a Christian be cursed? I'll say, yes and no. First of all, no two Christians are the same. Whether a Christian can be affected by curses or not depends on several factors which we will learn as we progress.
What Are Curses
Curses are spiritual utterances that are often backed by a spiritual source (or power), used with the intent of inflicting harm or punishment on someone or something.
Curses originated from God and was originally meant to be used as a rod for checkmating extreme disobedience and disorder. There are righteous and evil curses.
If God speaks a curse, it means someone or something had pushed Him to the wall, to have caused Him to make such an utterance. But when the enemy uses a curse, it is always for unjust and evil reasons—to cause mayhem in the life of the innocent.
We've seen instances in scriptures where our Lord Jesus Christ used curses, and He often used them for just reasons:
Matthew 23:23 BSBWoe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You pay tithes of mint, dill, and cumin. But you have disregarded the weightier matters of the law: justice, mercy, and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
When Jesus cursed the fig tree, it was because the tree was unproductive. He did not curse it just to flaunt power.
Matthew 21:18-19 NIVEarly in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered.
In both scenarios where the Lord cursed “a human” and “a thing” in the above scriptures, we can see that He did so because they were disobedient. And the gravity of their offenses must had been very great to had pushed Him to that extent.
As already expected, the enemy is fond of duplicating everything God does and using the same for evil purposes. The kingdom of darkness uses curses (in conjunction with magic) as one of their favourite offensive weapons against their targets.
Agents of darkness use curses in form of
- Malison, and
- Incantations, etc.
But as Christians, be reminded that we are Anointed and equipped to destroy the works of darkness (Luke 10:19).
5 Types Of Generational Curses
I know that you have been eagerly waiting for this part of the teaching. So let's quickly delve into it.
What are generational curses? Also known as ancestral sin, ancestral fault or generational sin; they are judgements people inherit as a result of the sin which their ancestors committed against God.
In the Old Testament and before the advent of salvation, the Israelites and everyone who followed God had to walk and live according to the laws of God. Anyone who went against God's commandments naturally inherited a curse and sometimes, such attracted instant death.
But thanks to our Lord Jesus Christ! His work for us on the Cross of calvary lifted most of these bans that resulted from disobeying the laws of God.
2 Corinthians 5:17 ESVTherefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
Below are four major types of generational curses and how to break them.
1. Curses From God
The first curse that touched the earth came from God and it came as a result of the sin of Adam and Eve.
Genesis 3:13-19 KJVAnd the Lord God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.  And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:  And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.  Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.  And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;  Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;  In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
One thing that we all can glean from here is that, sin is the only thing that attracts curses from God. Through one man (Adam) sin came into the world, alongside many curses—including death. But also through our Lord Jesus Christ, anyone can be free from sin and the curses that come with it.
By default, everyone is under this curse until they get saved. Deliverance from the curse of God comes only through salvation in the Name of Jesus Christ.
John 14:6 NIVJesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
So if you are not yet saved, go ahead and pray this salvation prayer.
2. Self-Inflicted Curses
As the name implies, these are curses people inflict on themselves especially by doing (and continually doing) evil to others.
Galatians 6:7 ESVDo not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.
One thing that many do not understand is that, it's not until a person speaks a curse on another before it happens. Things like oppressing the poor and bearing false witnesses naturally attract curses to an individual.
Self-inflicted curses can be broken through genuine repentance, turning away from evil and beginning to do good.
3. The Curse Of The Law
The curse of the law always came as a result of going against even an iota of all of the instructions and ordinances that the law of Moses encapsulated.
Deuteronomy 28:15 KJVBut it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee.
For the Israelites, obeying the law was like walking on egg shells. Most of them occasionally erred, leading to their deaths in numbers, even before reaching the promised land.
The law that was given to Moses together with its ordinances was evidently too burdensome for mere mortals. If you were to keep the law, you had to be sure you didn't make a little mistake, lest you'll be guilty of breaking the entire law.
James 2:10 NIVFor whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
The only one who could keep and fulfil this law perfectly is our Lord Jesus Christ. That is why He came to fulfil and take it away, giving us access to the Father through grace, and not the law. Therefore, everyone who is saved is automatically free from the curse of this law.
4. The Curse Of Idolatry
The curse of idolatry is God's punishment on everyone who worships strange and foreign gods. Doing so is going against this commandment:
Exodus 20:3-5 KJVThou shalt have no other gods before me.  Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:  Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me.
Unfortunately, this is where our ancestors failed woefully. Idol worshipping often attract fallen angels and evil spirits. It is these beings that people ignorantly worship instead of the Most High God.
Apart from such an act attracting the curse from God that goes from generation to generation, these spirits that were once worshipped don't easily let go of subsequent generations. This is where many Christians today have a tough battle to fight.
Sadly, some Christians are born into families where this idol worshipping is still carried out by relatives. This makes the spiritual warfare even more deadly. But at this point, after seeing this article, I believe you'll be in a better place to fight back.
5. Parental Curses
Parental curses are curses spoken by parents on their children for their misdeeds. There is a limit to which a child can go in offending their parents. Once that limit is crossed, it may cause a parent to speak a curse upon their child. This is seriously not something anyone should attract. It is always right to obey and relate with our parents according to scriptures.
Genesis 9:22 ESVAnd Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father and told his two brothers outside. Then Shem and Japheth took a garment, laid it on both their shoulders, and walked backward and covered the nakedness of their father. Their faces were turned backward, and they did not see their father’s nakedness. When Noah awoke from his wine and knew what his youngest son had done to him, he said, “Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be to his brothers.”
Parental curses are effective only when a child is guilty, and they are best revoked by the parents themselves. That is why experienced deliverance ministers will advise people go back to their parents and make restitutions (if they once offended them and were cursed) as part of the process of breaking curses.
Prayer To Break Family Curses
Before praying a prayer to break curses, I assume that you are already saved. If you aren't yet saved, go ahead and pray this salvation prayer.
You are going to stand on the ground of who you are in Christ, to pray a prayer to break family curses. As a blood-bought child of God, you don't belong to your family. You belong to the family of God. Those are two different bloodlines. This is something I always try to make people understand. But some people remain intentionally tied to their evil foundation and hate anyone who speaks against it. At the same time, they go about seeking deliverance.
If you really need deliverance from foundational curses, you have to learn to be more conscious of who you are in Christ. If your family is idolatrous and ungodly, salvation separates you from it. Even the evil family members know this; they often begin to hate and intensify attacks against anyone who gets saved in the family.
Always pray from the conviction of your identity in Christ. You are from above, not beneath. The blood of Jesus speaks better things than the blood of Abel (Hebrews 12:24). By default, family curses and demons should bow to you. No arguments.
Can A Christian Be Cursed?
There are possibilities within which a Christian may come under the influence of curses.
- Some Christians become victims of the “leftovers” of foundational curses. This is often due to the fact that they lack knowledge on how to effect their total liberation. Also note that living in sin after getting saved is the fastest way any Christian can get back under generational curses.
- A Christian who isn't prayerful and filled with the Holy Spirit may get affected or influenced by witchcraft curses.
- Participating in family gathering involving rituals and sacrifices can get a Christian back under generational curses.
Prayer To Break Generational Curses
Below are prayers for self deliverance and breaking generational curses. Use them lavishly and feel free to add yours as led.
- I decree and declare that I am a child of God. I belong to Jesus. Therefore any contrary voice claiming ownership over me and influencing my life, be silenced now, in the Name of Jesus Christ!
- I declare that I am in a blood covenant with Jesus Christ. Therefore any other unrecognised blood covenant speaking and working against my life, be broken now, in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ!
- I take authority over every supposed family idol bent on brining me under their influence. From now henceforth, your place is under my feet, in the Name of Jesus Christ!
- Every generational curse that may had been working against me without my knowledge and permission, I command you to be broken now in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ!
- The hand of God descends and shatter every evil family altar working generational curses against my life, in the Name of Jesus Christ!
- Jesus had set me free, therefore I have the right to remain free. Every contrary power bent on bringing me under evil curses, be arrested now, in the Name of Jesus Christ!
- I reject and refuse to walk in the ungodly paths that my ancestors may had walked. I reject every transference of evil mantles over my life, in the Name of Jesus Christ!
- Every unknown evil cord tying me back to foundational curses, I command you to be broken now, in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ!
- By the blood of Jesus Christ, I blot out my name from every evil foundational book, in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ!
- Because I belong to Jesus Christ, I am exempt from every form of generational curse that befall the members of this family, in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ!
Prayer To Break Curses Over Finances
- By the authority of Jesus Christ, I come against every generational curse working against my finances. I command you to be broken now, in the Name of Jesus Christ!
- By the power of God, I break away from every cycle of generational financial poverty, in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ!
- My source is of Heaven, therefore the enemy has no right to trap my finances with a curse in the Name of Jesus Christ!
- Every witchcraft spell, hex, jinx and incantation done against my finances, I command you to be destroyed now, in the Name of Jesus Christ!
- Every curse of financial lack placed upon me and my finances, lose your hold now, in the Name of Jesus Christ!
Prayer To Break Curses Over Marriage
Some think that the best way to break curses over marriage is by actually forcing their way into marriage, but this is far from it.
When there are underlying curses in a family against marriage, even those who are married may experience difficulties in keeping their marriage.
It is better to be free from these curses before getting married. But if you are already married and experiencing the signs of foundational curses in your marriage, you should start praying hard.
- I come against every evil foundational curse meant to prevent people from getting married. I command you to lose your hold over my life, in the Name of Jesus Christ!
- Every evil foundational pronouncement that states that no one shall have a successful and lasting marriage in the family, be broken now, in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ!
- Foundational powers fighting hard to ruin my marriage, be arrested by the power of God, in the Name of Jesus Christ.
- Evil chains tying down marriages of family members, shatter now, in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ!
- By the fire of God, I unseat every foundational power sitting on my marriage, now, in the Name of Jesus Christ!
You might also want to see: Prayers For Restoration Of My Marriage
Prayers And Scriptures To Break Curses
The following scriptures are very effective when prayed alongside prayers to break curses.
- Proverbs 26:2 NLT Like a fluttering sparrow or a darting swallow, an undeserved curse will not land on its intended victim.
- James 4:7 ESV Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
- Matthew 16:19 NIV I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
- Romans 8:2 ESV For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.
- Galatians 3:13 NLT But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.”
Final Words On Breaking Curses
Beloved, I hope this is exactly what you needed to read when it comes to breaking generational curses.
Always remember that no evil curse is more powerful than what Jesus did for you on the Cross of calvary. You are now under a superior and Heavenly covenant. Speak from this place against every evil covenant that tends to rear its ugly head against you.
If you're one of those who often attend family gatherings and be a part of pouring libations and killing animals to ancestors, you have to stop immediately! If you continue being part of family evil while praying for your deliverance, it will never come!
Don't forget to send your testimonies if this article helped you break generational curses, and do not forget to share it with others.
God bless you!
You are NOT permitted to copy and/or redistribute our content in any format. For no reason should we find our content on your blog/website—be in its original or spinned format. Don't say you were not warned !!
Post a Comment