Matthew 23:1-4 ESVThen Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, “The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat, so do and observe whatever they tell you, but not the works they do. For they preach, but do not practice. They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger.”
Spirituality and religion are two vast concepts that operate apart from each other. Throughout history, people have made several attempts to blend religion with spirituality; but like two immiscible liquids, these two cannot coexist.
Did Jesus Create Religion?
Matthew 23:13 ESVBut woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. For you neither enter yourselves nor allow those who would enter to go in.
John 14:6 NIVJesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Luke 11:43 NIVWoe to you Pharisees, because you love the most important seats in the synagogues and respectful greetings in the marketplaces.
Matthew 23:23-24 NIVWoe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.
Matthew 23:27 NIVWoe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean.
Matthew 23:15 NIVWoe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.
Religion, Dogma And Indoctrination
- Why do denominations rarely do the same thing or agree to the same thing?
- I thought they are all using the Bible. But why is there so much division?
- Why does so much diversity exist among denominations?
- Why is it that one denomination is always different from the other?
- I thought the Body of Christ was One, or is it now divided?
1 Corinthians 3:2-3You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Aren’t you living like people of the world? When one of you says, “I am a follower of Paul,” and another says, “I follow Apollos,” aren’t you acting just like people of the world?
What Does It Mean To Be Spiritual Not Religious
- Do you know Jesus?
- How much do you know Jesus?
- How much of His Word do you have in you?
- Are you baptized in and filled with the Holy Spirit?
- When was the last time you received a fresh infilling of the Holy Spirit?
- Can you hear God by yourself and hear Him with clarity?
- When was the last time you had a one-to-one conversation with God?
- Do you have a functional relationship with Jesus Christ?
- Can you say you have an intimate relationship with God?
- Can you say you are walking in complete obedience with God?
- Do you have a private, consistent and vibrant prayer life?
- Do you think God is pleased with the way you're currently living life?
- On a scale of 1-10, how spiritual can you say you are?
What Does It Mean To Be Religious But Not Spiritual
- Religious people always believe they are holiest people walking the earth, while others are sinners who need to become members of their church, in order to make Heaven.
- Religious people believe everyone who isn't following and living by their church doctrine is disobeying God.
- Religious people would rather defend their church and church leaders, but not Jesus Christ.
- Religious people have their church leaders and church doctrines enthroned in their hearts, not the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Soul-winning for religious people always means bringing people to church, not preaching Christ, getting people saved and filled with the Holy Spirit.
- I promise, you don't want to date or marry a religious person. It will always be about what their church and church leader wants or instructs.
- Religious people are experts in manipulation. They have been trained to bring people to their church through every available manipulative means.
- Religious people believe that their church members should only marry each other, not anyone outside of their church—because they are infidels and outcasts.
- Apart from their church members and religious leaders, religious people barely pray with or heed someone else's Bible teaching.
- Religious people are not open-minded. To them, anything that doesn't proceed from the mouth of their church leader is falsehood.
- Religious people lack spiritual depth and girth in Christ, and in the things of God.
- Religious folks don't mind displeasing and disobeying God, just to please and obey their church leadership.
- Religious people hate it when their hypocrisy is called out, pointed out or exposed.
What Does It Mean To Be Spiritual And Not Religious
Luke 18:9-14 ESVHe also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Final Words On Being Spiritual And Not Religious
You are NOT permitted to copy and/or redistribute our content in any format. For no reason should we find our content on your blog/website—be it in its original or spinned format. You have been warned !!