To yield simply means to surrender. Yielding to the Holy Spirit means to surrender completely to the Spirit of God.
Salvation launches us into a walk with God—an endless adventure with God that gets more interesting everyday.
When we welcomed Jesus Christ into our lives as our personal Lord and Saviour, I'm sure that we all said that prayer of surrender, confessing how much we love the Lord and are willing to follow Him.
We entered into a covenant relationship with God; which demands that we continue surrendering to Him as the days go by. Even till we measure up to the stature and the fullness of Christ (Ephesians 4:13).
The Christian walk is that of a daily surrender. Becoming more like Christ demands learning new ways to submit to Him daily.
The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 3:17). He is Christ in us. When we yield to the Holy Spirit, we directly yield to Jesus Christ Himself.
Yielding To The Holy Spirit
Psalm 51:5 NIVSurely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
Man was originally designed according to the nature of God—in holiness and perfection. But sin came in and did a reverse programming on the nature of man.
The sin gene which emanated from Adam continued to subsequent generations. Therefore, no one is born holy. We're all conceived in sin, until Jesus comes into our life to change that.
After salvation, man still needs to abide in Christ and stay glued to God in order to become like Him.
Even with his salvation still intact, man can only become more evil, if he stays away from God.
Yielding to the Holy Spirit is part of our refining process. If we do not yield to the Spirit of Christ, we cannot become like Christ.
An Instruction From God
We cannot 'do it our own way' when it comes to the things of God. The instructions for Christian living are made available to us in God's Word. The Holy Bible is the manual for Christian living.
Yielding to the Holy Spirit is an instruction from God, as revealed in Scriptures.
Romans 6:13 KJVNeither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
Romans 6:19 KJVI speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
Steps Towards Yielding To The Holy Spirit
Let us take a look at basic steps towards completely surrendering to the Holy Spirit.
On that fateful and beautiful day when we got saved, we sang and confessed to God our willingness to submit to and continue in Him.
Salvation is the first step towards yielding to the Holy Spirit. On that day, we received the Holy Spirit because we yielded to Him.
But the yielding does not just end there. It is a process. It has to go on throughout our lifetime.
Let The Word Transform You
After salvation, the new convert is instructed to desire the pure milk of the Word (1 Peter 2:2), as a requirement for their mandatory spiritual growth.
To study the Bible just so we could fill up our heads with knowledge, is not what is required of us. We are to study the Word for our spiritual transformation, under the auspices of the Holy Spirit.
The Word of God is meant to transform and conform of us to the image and likeness of Christ. Allowing this to happen to us is part of our yielding to the Holy Spirit.
Have The Fear of God
One, out of the seven things that God hates (as seen in Proverbs 6) is a feet that is quick to run into evil.
Proverbs 6:18...a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil.
Seeing sin and rushing for it is not the best way to submit to the Holy Spirit.
We need the fear of God in order to be able to surrender to the Holy Spirit. Without it, humans rebel against God at will, and without remorse.
Obey The Little Promptings
To Christians who are yet to step in the realm of total submission to the God, the Holy Spirit will not begin with big instructions.
He will always start with little promptings. These promptings may include reminding us to pray or study the Word; asking us to extend a helping hand to someone in need, etc.
The Holy spirit will give such promptings and wait to see our reaction. Obeying them sends us a step further in our course of surrendering to Him.
Live By His Standards
The Holy Spirit has His own standards, which are very different from that of ours and that of the world. These includes:
- Mortifying the flesh (Romans 8:13).
- Abstaining from all appearance of evil (1 Thessalonians 5:22).
- Separation from worldliness (1 John 2:15).
In the process of yielding to the Holy Spirit, His standards must become our standards, and His will must become our will.
When this happens, the evidence of our yieldedness to God, will be seen in us even by those around us.
Benefits Of Yielding To God
- Yieldedness to the Holy Spirit produces the very life and character of Jesus Christ in us.
- Yieldedness to the Holy Spirit manifests the fruit of the Holy Spirit in us (Galatians 5:22-23).
- By obeying the little promptings of the Holy Spirit, He is convinced that we are willing to yield to Him. He takes us even deeper in our communion with Him.
- Yieldedness to the Holy Spirit brings about heightened spiritual sensitivity.
- Advanced and fine-grained ability to hear God's voice.
- We're brought into a place of intimacy with Jesus Christ.
- Total alignment with the will of God for our life.
- We become vessels ready for the Master's use, anytime, any day.
- Yieldedness to the Holy Spirit brings about a greater level of infilling of the Holy Spirit. There is a level of Anointing that God does not release to people, until they come to a place of total submission and alignment with Him.
- We're sure of God's guidance and direction for our life. Etc.
Prayer To Yield To The Holy Spirit
1. Thank you Father for the revelation You have granted me today, concerning yielding to Your Spirit.
2. Lord Jesus I confess that I am willing to yield to your Spirit, as much as I am expected to. Grant me the ability to do this and help me to it. Amen.
3. Holy Spirit of God, I submit myself to You today. Take me on this adventure of yieldedness to You. For I am willing to follow. Amen.
4. Precious Holy Spirit, I ask that you plant in me the fear of God, and hatred for the things that grieve You. Amen.
5. Holy Spirit of God, I ask that you lead me daily and teach me new ways to yield to You. Amen.
6. Thank You Father, for I know that You will do more than I ask. All these I ask in Jesus Name. Amen.
Scriptures On Yielding To The Holy Spirit
John 15:5, 1 Corinthians 12:18, 2 Corinthians 5:17-18, Hebrews 4:1-3, James 4:1-3, James 4:6, Deuteronomy 7:9-11, Matthew 6:33, 1 Corinthians 4:6, Philippians 2:5-7, Hebrews 2:10, Hebrews 13:5.
You are NOT allowed to copy and redistribute our content in any format!
Read This Next